Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Templeton Rye

Hey you!  Back for more?  I'm glad, because I've got something this time that should last you a while.  For an in-between seasons spirit that is versatile, tasty, and can be made to fit any taste or eventI give you Templeton Rye.  The first time I tried rye was at Bangers and Lace in Chicago's Wicker Park.  The rye was mixed with Cherry Heering and bitters.  In the mood for something slightly sweet and substantial, I bought a bottle recently and have been mixing it with all sorts of staples in my liquor cabinet.  Oooh.  I'm getting in the mood for one right now, just typing about it!  


****************************************************************


The story goes that most American whiskeys stopped being made during Prohibition.  But Templeton Rye, made in Iowa, continued to be secretly distilled and was shipped to Al Capone in Chicago, who supplied the town with it illegally.  This bottle is apparently from that prohibition recipe that Al Capone enjoyed so much and goes for about $40.  Mixed, or over ice, it should keep you in fine spirits for a while! 


Nose:  A little leather, a little maple.  Smells like whiskey.


Taste:  Very cool because of the alcohol content.  Not a lot in the initial taste, I'd say.


Finish:  This is where you really experience the rye.  It has a sweetness to it like bourbon and .... I can't get away from this.... it makes me want pancakes.

This isn't really a warming drink like the last I posted.  It is great for party cocktails and would be just perfect for summer dinners on the porch.   I'll follow up with some of the cocktails I've made from it.  For now though, just enjoy it over ice or with pancakes!


Cheers!
.







No comments:

Post a Comment